Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Joining the circus is not just for kids


I love remembering being 14 and in the circus. It was one of the few times in my life I was cut and active. I loved have callused hands, being able to flip, having the foresight that being in the circus was a badass thing I could whip out in old age (oh you were on track? How nice. I was on the freakin trapeze!)
But cancer decided that I wasn't going to be in Cirque D'Solel.
Losing the circus was for me right up there with going bald.
And so, as the years passed and I developed a mediocre physical ability (never was able to flip as a high diver, can't go up a flight of stairs unwinded) I always reached back for a time I actually didn't suck and my body listened to me. Over the past few months I've tried to fix what's wrong with my life and move forward. I couldn't help but notice a sign on a local church for acrobatics. I walked by this thing 50,000 times before I ate crow and went in yesterday. I was excited and scared, but I figured if I'm taking illustration what harm can another useless class do? The dude heading the classes is named Rudy. His body aches with 50+ years of gymnastics and he's bald but nice and wise like Master Joo. He told me to show up today at 5:30 and see if I liked it.
So I showed up and took a "class" with 10-17 year olds. The scary part was getting along with them. Is it normal to be 24 and have 12 year olds think your awesome? I was scared because I never did trampoline but that was what we were doing. It was fun, and hard! Who knew? I told Rudy I wanted to get back into trapeze or rather, the "silks", which is a form of aerial I was never taught because my French trainer said I wasn't strong enough. Rudy said I could try going on the silks next week! Yea, right now my life IS random. But exciting!