Sunday, March 25, 2007

Adventures with a drill


Who knew $150,000 in education would actually teach me something? Like how to use a power drill.

Senior year I took a class that involved building sets, in which, yes, they trusted us with power tools. Although I have always been a bit squeamish (insert here that girl who always jumped when something started buzzing or screamed and ran off when she thought a tool would cut her), I eventually got a hand of the power drill. Fast forward like 5 years and I'm here in my first apartment.

My first apartment with absolutely no storage. I didn't see this as a problem when I selected the place. OOoooh I'll just put up shelves. Lots and lots of shelves. First off, finding shelves, mainly assembled shelves is a real bitch. And once you find an assembled shelf it's up to you (aka me) as the person living with no doorman and only a super in "theory" to put up prior mentioned shelf. I finally caved in a bought an essembled rag of a shelf at gothic furniture because even the hardware store had them for the same price and without holes to screw them in! Like I'm not blind enough.

Well I almost melted a nail, and did some pretty major balencing acts (TV box, cabinets, staircase) but voila- I put up a shelf! OK, so maybe nothing is on it yet... I'm a tad worried if it comes crashing down.... but it's up! Now I'm only like 10 more shelves, a table, chairs, and several cabinets away from being done.