Sunday, September 28, 2008

HaaaaaaZAAAAaaaaah!


Well I wish someone had told me the M4 bus took an hour to get to the cloisters. Yes it does take you RIGHT to the cloisters, but being cramped in a bus full of New Yorkers for 60 minutes can be trying. By the time we got to the Renaissance Faire I practically dove off the bus. I was also wearing a pretty tight corset under a hoodie so I needed to rip that sucker off and reveal my Ren Faire costume least I sweat to death. If you love the medieval ages without the plague then you pretty much will adore any renaissance faire. Everyone in costume is on display, there are giant turkey legs (and of course pesto tomato baguettes- this IS Manhattan after all). I love stopping to watch the players yucking it up like it's 1592 and the minstrels singing. Although I did see something I hadn't seen before- 3 women dressed as nuns were performing what life was like for them in the renaissance and one woman kept moaning about rape. Which is fine and dandy in a theater but with little kids running around it was kinda intense. Now after that comment let me lighten the mood with some Ren Faire jokes:
Why did the king go to the dentist?
To get a crown!
HA!
Why were the medieval times called the "dark ages"?
Because they had so many knights!
HA!
I learned those during the joust. Thank goodness I brought an umbrella since the downpour soaked through many an expensive costume at the faire. It was a great tournament. The "knights" were a mix of old and young guys who you can tell live for ren faires. You know what I mean- long hair, maybe a beard- costume waaaaaaay to detailed. I mean one of them had hand made his chain mail! But that is the fun of renaissance faires. You want to see overweight women in corsets and dorky guys dressed like the matrix so you can be like "why is he dressed like the matrix? This is ren faire not some anime convention."
Yea I guess at the end of the day, even though it took 2 hours to get home and my corset was leaving indents, nothing beats a good renaissance faire. Even in the rain- always in costume- and including at least one guy dressed for the matrix.