Thursday, September 21, 2006

Master Joo


I had my first illustration class tonight. Drawing, unlike so many things in my life, is something I've never tired of. I do it constantly- without thinking- it's never a chore. Still I always knew attending art school or class would be a gamble. My artistic hubris is thin- the fear my work is but a trifle has kept it hidden in books on a shelf. So it was no easy task when I stepped through the SVA doors and entered the class room of Joo Chung, perhaps the first Joo in a long time to make sense. I'm pretty sure Chung is a Chinese name- which makes for a less perfect tale. It's kind of like loving American culture and finding a great model in a Canadian. Master Joo has been teaching at SVA for 25 years. I've decided to call him Master Joo privately as everything he says are pearls of wisdom for the ages. For ex "If you see yourself doing pictures for $20 that's all you'll do" or "pro vs. Amateur: One is doing it and one is trying". He preaches to go and do what makes you happy instead of doing a job you hate. Just do it (Nike be damned). It won't be easy, but I hope to learn much from Master Joo.