Tuesday, February 12, 2008

What's new at the Ulpan

Hi All,
Well My first week at the Kibbutz is behind me. The insane time change, scrubbing toilets, and a diet that a combination of whatever I can make out from the box cover STILL are not a deterent from enjoying it here.
Well maybe the toilet part.
Classes are very intense. 5 hours 6 days a week, and it's almost entirely in hebrew. But on the plus side I have managed to learn Hebrew script in a week, a feet I avoided for 20 years and now am kind of pleased to know. Also I'm slowly picking up the art of dropping v-w-ls. As for talking... well that is slow but still a 180 from where I was a week ago. My proudest moment was my first phone call on my cell phone. It was a wrong number and under the gun I was able to apologize and say I didn't speak Hebrew and the caller understood! Sounds small but it felt like a million bucks.

My roommate is from Belgum. She is ALSO INTO JAPAN!!!! Maybe more then me... dear god.


She has a massive Geisha tattoo and tons of Hello Kitty Clothes. Clearly I am a sham.

PS
In Hebrew "Sham" means "over there"