Sunday, February 24, 2008

Yom Chameshe-Yom Shabbat

My wicked weekend all started Thursday when my sister Anna got her boyfriend to call me.
“Do you want to go to mountain climbing?”
“Excuse me?”
“Mountain climbing tonight.”
“Ma haarr?” [Tomorrow]
“No I mean tonight”…..
Turns out the boyfriend knew of a crazy indoor rock climbing gym about an hour away. It was filled with mission impossible style rock climbs, trapezes and 1990 grunge music. I rock climbed and managed to learn how to control the ropes when Peri took a turn (which is good because he could have died otherwise).
The next night was Shabbat. I spent it with my Ulpan friend Allison. “He oh la chadasha” (she is making allyah). She has family here and the food was amazing! It felt good to be in someone’s house, on a couch where only a few/ no people had vomited, eating food that had flavor.
On Saturday I went off again with the boyfiend and two of his friends: Adi and Natalye. We went down south to see the poppy fields in bloom. On the way there we stopped on the Gaza border and watched as patrols drove by. The boyfriend was saddened that it was too early for any Arabs to be awake and bombing us. Once at the poppy fields we hiked and stopped for the most civilized picnic! The boyfriend whipped out some propane, tea leaves, and cookies his mom made. One of the most amazing tea parties I ever had.
For sure my Hebrew is improving. I always feel like I could be doing better but I can really communicate now which is cool.
Talk you up soon!
Shalom!