Monday, February 06, 2006

My bad

I have been neglecting Kawaii for my craigslist blog, mainly because CL is constantly updated with topics stupider and raunchier then ever, while my life tends to go in fluxes not nearly as interesting as Craigslist. But I would be an awful fashionista, and lover of all things kawaii, if I failed to point out this is fashion week! All the more poignant now that I work a block away and get to pass models ten years younger, way taller and cuter then I ever was, every time I walk outside. I have had a front row viewing of everything from Oscar de La Renta to Carolina Herrera. How? IMG's new website(http://www.imgfashionworld.com/tracker/default.asp) that shows in real time the fashion shows as they happen. I am tres tres impressed- not even Anna Wintour's curt bob gets as close to these models as the cameras do. Some things I am noticing for fall 2006- very boxy looking clothes (look for stiff shapes very 1920's reminiscent), black and purple, embellishment, and empire waistlines the likes of which we haven't seen since 1855. Reem Acra's collection was pretty typical- so if you manage to catch some clips of her show you've basically seen what all the other collections look like. A word on Reem's show- she must have either been overweight or feeling kinda bloated while designing this collection because most of the piece look like something I'd wear on a "fat day". But why put mumu sized pieces on models? Like my mom always says- if it doesn't look good on the model it's going to look like hell on you! You want to promote comfy pretty clothes? Stick them on a big girl and show how skinny you can make her look!