Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Happy Birthday to me


All my friends are well aware of what a japanophile I am. Nothing that even hints at "geisha" or "harajuku" flits past them without some reference to me. But alas, despite the best intentions, my friends aren't in Japan and can only humor my love of everything Kawaii.
Until of course I met Tim of Porcelain Monkey.
Tim, who lives and teaches in Japan, and also has a wicked sense of style (boy can this man wrap a package) has been generous enough to send me an early birthday present. It includes tabi (traditional socks) for my new geta, the most kawaii stickers ever produced, a Hello Kitty lock which is going to go on all my luggage from now on, and articles on one of my weirder interests: the maid cafes and hostess bars of Japan. So far 24 is shaping up to be one of the best b-days ever!