Thursday, March 16, 2006

Now I know why they have secretary's day


Being a secretary, while mostly easy, is hard as heck if no one ever trained you and your groping in the dark. My usual theory is ignore a problem if you don't know how to fix it and maybe it will fix itself. But it's amazing the stuff I've managed to not do because no one told me to do it. I'm not saying it's a good thing- far from it! It's a horrible thing doing your job wrong and not knowing it. No one telling you how to do expense reports (super important) or to issue a travel authorization (super duper important) leads to phone calls months later asking, "excusing me but where is this unbelievably important bit of paper you never gave me?" The good thing about making mistakes is once you do, you never forget. Still- it sucks to make them at all!